Join an existing army of approximately 150 volunteers who find it rewarding, meaningful and well-worth their time to assist our adult students work towards their educational goals.
Founded in 1964, The Learning Source began in a church basement with only 40 students and 16 volunteers, no paid staff. The spirit of volunteerism, the importance of reaching and helping our students in an individual or small group setting, has not changed in these almost fifty years. Although we now have paid staff members at each center, it is the volunteers who provides the individualized assistance that is often the key ingredient to student success.
The Why, What, When and Where
- Why join us? Comments from our volunteers:
- “The students certainly appreciate my volunteer efforts.”
- “I can see students learn from and are motivated by their volunteer tutors.”
- “I love working with diverse backgrounds.”
- “This is always the best part of my week!”
- “More joy and satisfaction than I ever imaged!”
- What would you be doing?
- Depending on the center, our volunteer tutors either do one-on-one instruction or small group work, providing the individualized instruction that is essential for our students. In all cases, tutors work with our paid staff assigned to each center. You would choose to help out in a center that assists students who are working towards their GED or those learning the English language.
- Time Commitment:
- The initial commitment is one session per week (each session is about 2-1/2 hours), for approximately 13-17 weeks. Many of our classes (but not all) run on a school semester-type schedule; i.e., from mid-August to mid-December and again from mid-January to mid-May. We have daytime and evening opportunities, Monday through Friday.
- We have 20+ learning centers in Denver, Lakewood, Sheridan, Centennial, Golden and Aurora. We do our best to assign you to a location that is convenient for you. See current map.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a High school diploma or GED
- Must attend our two-part, six-hour free orientation and training series.
- More importantly, we are looking for people who have a caring attitude, are creative, patient and understanding and are open to new experiences.
Contact me… I’m waiting!
For our current training schedule and/or for questions… Debby Novotny Doig, at email@example.com or 303-957-2883.